Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Feels like home Cottage pie

So this is a recipe that I absolutely love! This Cottage pie feels like home for me. I come from a big family and with four big boys to feed this was my winning dish amongst my brothers. I never really like making this meal for myself even though I absolutely love making/eating it, this is a meal that is best shared with friend and family. The following photos were taken in Greece when I made this for my friend George as a thank you for boarding me and my friend in his Village Kriopigi.



Ingredients

·         1 tbsp oil
·         1 large onion chopped
·         2 medium carrots, chopped
·         560g/1¼ lb beef mince
·         290ml/10fl oz beef stock
·    1 Bay leaf

·         1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
·         salt and freshly ground black pepper
·         2 cloves of garlic
·         1 tablespoon of gravy
·         Half a cup of peas

For the topping

·         750g/1½ lb potatoes, peeled and chopped
·         75g/2½oz butter
·         55ml/2fl oz milk
·         Tasty cheese to top

Preparation method

1.       Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2.       Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, Pease, carrot and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 5   minutes until soft.
3.       Add the minced beef and cook for 3 minutes to brown.
4.       Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and gravy.
5.       Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Season.
6.       Meanwhile, to make the topping, boil the potatoes in water until soft. Drain and mash with the butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
7.       Spoon the meat into an ovenproof dish. Top with the mash and cheese to top and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.

Enjoy! And just a little tip- it always tastes better the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment